Monday, July 15, 2013

Tim Keller #1

     I've decided to take a little bit of a break from the Genesis Series and do something a bit different. I enjoy reading books about our faith. I am always highlighting sentences that really stand out to me. So, I was thinking about how I could take that little sentence and really expand on the thought of the author and speak about how it would effect me as I walk out my faith in Jesus. So, lets start with my favorite author Tim Keller.
     The quote is "Jesus must become more beautiful than our idols." I found the quote by following the twitter handle @DailyKeller. I can't say exactly what book this came from. My research suggests that it came from Reason for God.
     I find this quote to be such a beautiful explanation of what Jesus wants for us. We must put Jesus before the things of this world that come to take our time, money, and attention. This is really the first commandment. You shall have no other gods before me (Exodus 20:2). Idols are not always bad things. They are good things that can become God things. We need to see Jesus as more desirable than the idols that we place in front of Jesus everyday.
     Here are some questions to ask yourself. What idols am I placing in front of Jesus? Is Jesus even beautiful to me? Why don't I see Jesus as beautiful? How can Jesus become beautiful to me? Am I constantly placing Jesus first everyday?

No comments:

Post a Comment